The Faculty of Computer and Information presents a new Masters program specialized in Software Engineering, named JMSE (Joint Master in Software Engineering). The program starts in September 2015.
For more information, kindly visit the graduate studies department at the faculty, or call the secretary of the Vice Dean for Post Graduate Studies and Research on 02 3338 1687.
About JMSE project
The joint master in Software Engineering (JMSE) is an advanced postgraduate program that provides students with a deep understanding of leading edge techniques for the analysis, design, and development of complex software systems. Also, it prepares students for high quality career in the software industry or undertaking research in the field of software engineering.
The project in funded from the European Union with 1.2 million euros, through TEMPUS program. ID: 530637-Tempus-1-2012-PS-Tempus-JPCR. The scholarship owner is Birzéit University.
1. To produce high quality education, that will compete effectively at the global level.
2. To instil among students the ability to understand, analyze, and assess the value of software engineering codes of ethics, and demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate ideas and outcomes, both orally and in writing, in a logical manner.
3. To enable students pursue productive careers in software engineering that demonstrates technical leadership capabilities and/or project management expertise.
Preparing the graduate student to succeed as a professional and leader in the field of Software Engineering in a global environment full of various specializations.
• The program applies the credit hour system: 36 hours = 24 hours courses (i.e., 8 courses) + 12 hours scientific thesis.
• The courses are split into 6 required courses and 2 elective courses
• The program duration ranges from 4 terms at least (since registration), and 10 terms at most, while taking into consideration leaves of absence.
• The summer term (if any) is not considered as a term.
• If the student fulfils the programme’s courses and thesis, he will acquire a masters degree in software engineering, from the Faculty of Computers and Information, Cairo University.
• The graduate student
o Can register his thesis topic after finishing the required courses.
o Needs to do one research seminar at the time of registration, and another seminar before the thesis defense.
o Needs to publish a paper, or supply a proof of acceptance for a paper in a referred scientific journal or a refereed conference in his area of specialization before holding his pre-defense research seminar.
• A Bachelor degree from the Faculty of Computers and Information, from Software Engineering, from Computer Science, from Information Systems, or what equates them from any University/Faculty that has been accredited by the Supreme Council of Universities – Egypt. That bachelor degree’s grade needs to be Good at least.
• The faculty council has the right, based on a recommendation from the JMSE program management council, to approve enrolling students, who have a post graduate diploma in a specialization related to software engineering, with a grade Good at least. That diploma needs to be from one of the faculties of Computers and Information, faculties of Science, faculties of Engineering, or what equates them from any University/Faculty that has been accredited by the Supreme Council of Universities – Egypt.
• The faculty council has the right, based on a recommendation from the JMSE program management council, to approve enrolling students who have a bachelor of Science from faculties of Computers and Information, or in software engineering with a grade less than good.
• The student should provide a certificate confirming that he passed one of the English language proficiency exams TOEFL (or what equates it), with a score that the faculty council approves, and that the Supreme Council of Universities accepts as well.
• Students should attend at least 75% of each course’s lectures on a face-to-face basis, unless he is absent for an acceptable reasons. The faculty has the right to deprive the student from attending the final exam if he does not satisfy such attendance criteria, based on a report from the course instructor, and the approval of the faculty council. In such a case, the student is considered failing in that course.
Unique features of JMSE programme
• Industrial tutorials
Entrepreneurship and soft skills.
Agile Software Management and SCRUM.
Software performance testing
Software development for the cloud
Human User Interface and Mobile settings.
• Exceptional students may be granted a few months visit, at the end of the first year of their program, to a European country. Such visit would be funded by the European Union to select a topic for their MSc. Thesis, and start working on such topic.
The JMSE programme ByLaws have been prepared by specialized staff from various faculties of Computers and Information, from:
• Cairo University
• Helwan University
• Egyptian E-Learning University
• Birzéit University
• Al-Quds University
• Islamic University – Gaza
Four more European universities have reviewed the application of quality measurements, as follows:
• Free University of Bozen, Italy
• Harokopion University of Athens, Greece
• Middlesex University, United Kingdom
• University of Koblenz-Landaw, Germany.
• Research Methods in Software Engineering
• Software Requirements Engineering
• Software Management
• Software Testing & Quality Assurance
• Software Design and Architecture
• Software Construction
• Secure Software Development
• Software Maintenance and Evolution
• Human Computer Interaction (HCI)
• Global Software Engineering Team
• Software Engineering in Mobile Computing
• Software Engineering for Distributed Systems
• Advanced Topics in Software Engineering
• Selected Topics in Software Engineering
Top 5 students from the first intake will have a fully funded opportunity to attend a summer school on advanced software engineering for 2 weeks in one of the EU universities involved in the project.
For more information, kindly visit the graduate studies department at the faculty, or call on 02 35674619, Saturday to Wednesday from 9:30am to 3pm.
for more information ,please download the file